re Honouring Each Other

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Sun Nov 29 11:06:54 PST 2009

wondering a little about how you do this, kathie.  how do you hold space for
different intelligences?

when you go listen to music, maybe it's a violin recital, and a quartet
chimes in, do you listen differently?  what if someone steps in to sing?  or
is your noticing different still if someone has taken the time to paint a
backdrop, or designed a lighting program?  how does that happen?  what do
you do, or does it just happen?  and what if it's the sort of place that
allows a bit of food or maybe a glass of wine while listening?  and in the
midst of seeing and hearing and understanding and tasting, do you still have
room to notice if the chair is well-formed and comfortable?  if it rocked or
swivelled, would that be too much?  and what if you're lucky enough to have
someone special along with you, holding hands, so hearing, seeing, and
tasting together?  the complexity just goes on and on, i think.

so, if we're working with a group of 75, how many intelligences are in the
room?  how many ways of paying attention, of learning and contributing,
might be present in the room?  if there are nineteen ways and all of us have
a little bit of all or most of them, seems there are uncountable ways of
showing up... so i don't understand, what is it that we could possibly do
differently to listen or see or feel or accommodate 7 or 19 or many more
different ways?  what if three or four new people walk in halfway through
the opening?

or maybe i'm just not understanding this challenge properly?

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.ronanparktrail.com