why OSI/US

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Wed Nov 25 18:49:50 PST 2009

Howdy,

I certainly have no objection to the name "OSI/US", and no advocacy to
change the name of the organization, but some thoughts do come to mind that
I feel like sharing.

Tree's eloquent narrative proves that "OSI/US" is a better name than "OSI"
or "OSI/America" -- but I wonder why not "OSI/USA".

I actually prefer "America" over "United States", and here's why: The United
States of America is the ONLY country in the world to have "America" as any
part of its name, so "America" is a reasonable nickname when it's clear that
a country is being referred to.

However, there ARE other countries with "United States" or something similar
in their names -- notably, the United States of Mexico (locally known as
Estados Unidos Mexicanos). So "United States" and "US" are actually
ambiguous nicknames, though of course they're quite common ("US" is the
standard two-letter country code for the United States of America while "MX"
is the standard two-letter country code for the United States of Mexico).

So anyway, I think that if it's okay to refer to the United States of Mexico
as simply "Mexico", it should be okay to refer to the United States of
America as simply "America", and that if we're concerned about "America"
being too broad then we should use the full formal name, not the
even-more-ambiguous "United States".

Cheers,
Justin