why OSI/US

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:42:02 PST 2009

Some folks asked why 'OSI/US' . . . the simple answer is that the  correct
name is Open Space Institute/US.

Now, speaking only for myself, not on behalf of the OSI/US board (I have
been on the board almost six years). . . there is North America, with
several countries. There is Central America, with many countries. And there
is South American, with many more countries. There is also the concept of
'Latin America'. It is a misnomer to consider residents of the United States
of America as Americans, as the 'only' Americans. . . people in North
America, Central America, South America and, even the more amorpohous, Latin
America.  There are many American countries.

As a young woman, I lived and studied cultural anthropology in Mexico and
then in Bogota, Colombia. Thirty+ some years ago, there was a lot of
anti-U.S. animosity amidst the young college students that I knew.  Young
South Americans consistently complained to me if I ever made the 'slip' of
referring to myself as American or my country as America.  I am just one
person, doing my best to be a good person.  I am not an 'ugly' American.

Sometimes I feel pressure from colleagues in other parts of the world to
feel apologetic about being a U.S. citizen, or to be apologetic for my
country.  I have heard plenty of whispers during my decade+ participation in
the WOSonOS community (yes, I've been around that long, even if you don't
see me on the list all the time . . I am always present and reading . . and
have been for a long time) from OS colleagues, who remind me that my country
is not 'in charge' of OS. . . I have never made such an astonishing
assumption.  I have never asked colleagues from other countries to remember
their country's image in the world or hold such colleagues to any kind of
account for their country's various histories of disappointment -- I won't
name any names or countries!! . . but sometimes, it feels like an
unnecessary burden for me to feel that I have to softpedal the inescapable
fact of my citizenry or my cultural orientation.

I have heard many a whisper of warning that OSI/US ought not to see itself
as a leader amoung OSI's. . . we absolutely don't see ourselves that way. We
are, at the moment (whoever shows up are the right people) nine wonderful
people holding space in the world for Open Space.  I have formed a resolve
to stop feeling like I have to apologize for being based in the United
States. . . and reminding the list that our legal name is OSI/US (I am
trained as an attorney,  after all) is our name. It seems respectful of all
the other 'kinds' of Americans that dwell in North, Central and South
America. . .

And, stay tuned -- OSI/US just had its first ever, three-day face-to-face
board retreat. Our meeting was hugely productive and you will be hearing
about it as time goes by (soon!!!).

Very truly yours,

Tree Fitzpatrick

--

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for

2175 Kittredge St Apt 615
Berkeley, CA 94704
510-665-4825