Facilitation disasters or are they?

Barbara Bunker bbunker at buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 24 11:01:17 PST 2009

Hi Peggy... thanks for sending your story.  I like you love name!!  B3

On Mon 11/23/09  7:21 PM , Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com sent:
> Barbara and Tonnie,
> more could have happened, I'm re-sending a story I posted three years
> ago that completely changed my Open Space practice.
> Ironically, this is the story that launched the shift from defending
> space to being co-creative in how I hold it that I discussed in my
> last post.
> Peggy
> On Nov 16, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Barbara Bunker wrote:
>
> I think that this very interesting conversation is moving from
> disasters to
> situations where we feel that more could have happened....sometimes
> because we
> didn't do all that we might have done in the contracting or in the
> event itself
> or...??????  B3
>
> Barbara Bunker
>
> Begin forwarded message:
> FROM: Peggy Holman
> DATE: August 23, 2006 9:01:49 PM PDT
> TO:
> SUBJECT: [OSLIST] BREAKING OPEN (LONG)
> REPLY-TO: OSLIST
> During the last week of June, I hosted what turned out to be the
> most personally challenging work I’ve done in a very long time.  In
> fact, I’d say it broke me open, in a difficult but valuable way.
> The primary gift was a move from a defensive stand around Open Space
> to a co-creative stand.  I’ll say more about what this means and how
> I got there by sharing the story of what it was like to hold space for
> Philanthropy, Love, and Evolution (also known as the Philanthropy
> Salon).  My intent is not so much to share the story of the
> conference, but rather, the story of facilitating the conference.  To
> begin at the beginning
the signs that this would be different were
> there right from the start.  You know that thing about every group
> saying, “we’re different?”, well, based on my experience,
> transformational philanthropy – philanthropy intended to make a
> substantive difference in how systems (e.g., health care, education,
> media, etc.) themselves work – really is different!   But, that
> shall unfold
. The idea for the gathering was born in May, 2005,
> when Michael Dowd, Tom Atlee, and I hosted the first Evolutionary
> Salon.  At the end of the gathering, one of our agreements was to
> host some “strategic conversations”, bringing an evolutionary world
> view (I’ll share some background on this in another posting) to
> different high leverage fields.   We decided to start with
> philanthropists.  In September, 2005, we each reached out to people
> we knew in the field to ask their counsel on how best to reach this
> audience.  On a conference call, we were met with enthusiastic
> support.  People jumped in, saying
”we should do x, let’s try
> y”
in other words rather than telling us what WE needed to do, our
> counselors enlisted themselves in the work!   Seemed like an
> auspicious beginning, as they agreed to become our planning group.
> Over the next few weeks, we drafted an invitation and identified the
> well-respected, well-networked leaders in the field of
> transformational philanthropy.   Our planning team thought it looked
> great
until they realized that the invitations would be coming from
> them.  Suddenly, it wasn’t quite right.  We went back to the drawing
> board, getting clearer about the purpose of the gathering.  We wrote
> another invitation and were met with another stepping back.
> “Hmmm
.I wondered, is there a pattern here?”  On our next call, I