OSonOS paris 2009 update

christine koehler chris.alice.koehler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 02:01:39 PST 2009

Hi Artur,

Thank you for your comments.

The proceedings of the events are available here as a pdf file :
en.boscop.de/events/579--learning-exchange-paris-2009.
<http://en.boscop.de/events/579--learning-exchange-paris-2009>
Choose English on the upper right corner of your screen if you are not
comfortable with German, then go to the  files section : you'll see "books
of proceedings.pdf" written in red letters.

Maybe in my email it  was not clear enough where you can see more about this
event :
pictures are on Flick'r here
video of closing circle is here <http://www.vimeo.com/7428911>
invitation on slides is here
<http://slideshare.net/chrisko/osonos-paris-2009>
More video should be coming soon.

Regarding your questioning : was  the use of the words "First European
OsonOS" appropriate ? , here are my thoughts and questions :

First, I'll attend the next WOSonOS in Berlin and I'll be happy to co-host a
session with you and with others on the topic of European OSonOS.  I agree
with you that it is much easier to discuss this kind of thing in person and
of course such gathering are really wonderful for this.

Then I'll tell you the story of this Paris even tso that you understand why
it happened like this and also why I still have questions about what you
suggest.

Indeed this Paris event happened this past month because I attended the Wave
Rider seminar in Berlin last year -where I met some people from Germany,
Switzerland, Sweden, Russia and other countries. The idea didn't come
exactly from there, at that time I was wondering what I could do in France
to let people who open space (I was sure there were more than I could
imagine -thanks to all opportunities that happened all over the world for
years, Diane Gibeault's training session in Canada and France ) connect and
share together.

Then I attended the OSonOS event in Belfast, Ireland.
There, Michael Pannwitz told me about the need he sensed about a European
gathering. I knew at that time  I was going to organize one in France, so
why not make it European ? It changes a bit the organization.. so it's best
to have this in mind.
I rushed, because of the Wosonos in Berlin in 2010 and also because I felt
it was urgent to do one quickly  in France.

Then I invited a few people as co-inviters who had told me or Michael that
they would be interested in being involved. Many didn't answers, but lots
were invited.
We get the support of other international network, like FoFo in Canada,
that, also not European, was very helpful to spread the word.
And yes, some people told me that they would have appreciate being involved
earlier in the process. I understand that you would have appreciate that
too.

There might be a tension between how things could be done to make them as
well as everybody is happy with them, and how things really happen, with
passion and because for this person, this group of people, this is the right
time and moment.

I also have another question, broader maybe ;
Do you think that credibility for an event can come only from the attendance
of a previous event ?  Even if attendance to an international event can show
someone's interest, is this the only way to show commitment to the
developement of the community ?

I agree this is one way, as it has become a tradition for WOsonOs.  I think
tradition is quite interesting, as it is grounded in the spirit of the
community : here I see an attempt to give the opportunity to new and
passionnate people to show up, be present and convince others that they are
the one to be trusted to organize the next event.
Thus, we have no planning commitee, no governing body. Just passion and
responsability and self-organization.
I like it. ;-)

Yet there may be numerous reasons why you can't attend an international
event . Like you said, you couldn't attend the Paris event because it was a
bad time for you.., it could be also that you don't have the money for that,
you don't want to ask the Access Queen for a reason that is yours,
etc...etc..
Should we have  one unique way to do things  ? Is this how we want the
community to grow ?
It looks to me that this same  questionning happens at different places in
this community in the same time...

I liked your story of this first european gathering 9 years ago, in Berlin,
during the Wosonos, with people from 9 european countries.
I appreciate the fact that there was a need, that maybe the right time
hadn't come yet , and that maybe time is right now.

let's discuss again in Berlin...
but also maybe here or on other lists.
Christine