re honouring each other

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Nov 20 01:12:26 PST 2009

this is just stunning.  all i ever said is that i would post anything
related to open space that anyone cared to send to me.  and that is pretty
much what i've done.  at times the site was designed to support public
posting, but there was never enough community interest or energy to support
that.

somebody called me yesterday and said, "this is why so many leaders won't do
open space.  this is exactly what they're afraid will happen.  someone will
use the openness of the space to attack existing leadership."

...and when that happens, if the leader responds (defend, control, or
otherwise counters the attacker) he/she is tagged as dominating.  his/her
open invitation is called phony.  and he/she is defeated.  if he does not,
the false accusations are allowed to stand, and he/she is defeated again.

*in the end, open space can not be sustained by those in positions of
leadership -- only by the kindness of the every one else.  *

this is critically important... attacking anyone else, but anyone with any
sort of leadership role is particularly vulnerable, closes the space.
that's why the rule is that everyone needs to keep learning and
contributing!

i never realized the meaning of this, but now i do recall that in lloyd
kepferle's university of kentucky rules for ongoing open space story, in
tales from open space, their ten rules addressed this specifically...

*Personal empowerment is constrained by the following:*

   - When a problem or opportunity is to be discussed, there must be wide
   notification of the meeting time and place so that anyone who is interested
   can attend.
   - Proposed solutions/ideas must be broadcast widely so that they can be
   acknowledged as organizational policies, programs, or procedures, or, if
   they are contradictory to organizational rules, another solution can be
   sought.
   - * Proposed solution cannot be hurtful to anyone else. *

i've been a member of this list since it started.  we've had some difficult
moments, but really surprisngly very few of them.  and i can't remember
anything like this.

*since when is our practice of invitation about inviting others to speak
badly about another person???*  hooray for public chastisement? would that
be learning or contributing???  this is just insane.

and for what?  because i'm supposedly blocking access to the internet???
this is nuts!

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates