Wikipedia and Open Space...the beginning of something bigger?

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Wed Nov 18 21:55:54 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

> The truly interesting thing is that the academic literature (along with
> academia) has virtually ignored Open Space. To the best of my knowledge
> there has never been a peer reviewed article published anywhere. There have
> been several dissertations, but that is all. Question: How could the
> academic world ignore a 25 year old, 100,000 iteration, 136 country
> phenomenon? Go figure! Personally I don't care, and if anything I would
> consider it their loss. But this fact does not make providing the sort of
> independent sources Wikipedia wants a possible thing. In fact there have
> been major stories in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Times of
> London, etc,etc.  -- which perhaps could be used if somebody cared to do so.
> A search of the archives of the Times and the Post will produce those
> articles.

"Finished" dissertations are actually considered "reliable sources"
according to Wikipedia: "Finished PhD dissertations, which are publicly
available, are considered publications by scholars and are routinely cited
in footnotes. They have been vetted by the scholarly community; most are
available via interlibrary loan. UMI has published 2 million dissertations
since 1940. Dissertations in progress are not vetted and are not considered
to be published. They do not count as a Reliable Source." (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RS#Scholarship)

Cheers,
Justin