Come join us at Open Space Technology World Community Ning site!!

christine koehler chris.alice.koehler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 01:14:49 PST 2009

I think I'd like to jump into this conversation as it resonnates with many
of my present concerns.
As an Open Space and self-organization lover, I understand the interest and
huge possibilities of open source tools and would naturally turn toward
them. That's probably why I have an OpenId for years now (since the very
beginning I think of the Open Id movement, thanks to people who are related
to this OS community), even if I don't get I am sure what it may mean.

Yet, as a non-tech person,well... that's simple : I don't know what to
chose, I can't follow all the new possibilities that emerge every 6 months
-if not quicker- , and when I do take time to find out what is best for the
time being, then I don't have the skills to handle those open tools
properly.

And for people like me, today's worls is just wonderful : I can pay for it,
if I have money, or  I can get free stuff like Ning communities, Facebook
etc.. that do solve all these technical questions for me.
Of course, I know that in this world, everything has a cost : maybe they
give me things free but then will want to get it back for $$$ by selling my
information to corporations. Well, I guess they will.
But my alternative is : doing nothing and not giving any of my personal
datas to big bad corporations ( that, as OST facilitator,  are my potential
clients by the way)
or
taking this risk and use the possibilities offered by the internet.

Now, if someone like Kaliya offers help and skills, well, that's wonderful !
As wonderful as the current possibilities. Thanks to all of you who made
things happen !

No doubt for me the choice is similar : someone handle this technical stuff,
as I never will be able to do it and don't want to learn it. To a certain
extand, I'll have to trust this people.

This community is self-organized, nobody has the autority to say "let's do
this" and all will follow. What I appreciate  is that people who want that
new things happen explain what and why then want it.  I guess their passion
will make other people follow them !

Kaliya, if you explain what criteria are now important to consider when
chosing some new tools,  explain where we can find them and how to use them,
and  share  the reasons behind your choices,  I would really appreciate this
sharing of knowledge.

I have also had the tentation to create a Ning community for OS in France.
I can see that people from IT field are not very open to this. But as long
as noone helps  find a better solution and handle it, what can I do ?...