Collective Wisdom

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Nov 9 08:19:59 PST 2009

Hi wonderful Nigel -

It is so wonderful, this opportunity to offer Open Space - and I
say...no demonstration, no lecture, so a real thing that's meaningful
to participants.
For example, OS is *great* at the end of a traditional conference for
a theme like 'What else do we need to learn / share / discuss /
discover with each other before we go our separate ways?' kind of thing.

When I am asked to use OS towards the end of a traditional conference,
I always ask what else is happening in the conference design and
schedule for that day to see if I have even more time available than
they originally thought I did.

For example - the Closing Circle of the Open Space can / is often an
amazing way to close the conference - so if they thought they would
have some other sorts of closing comments or activity you may wish to
check and let them know how powerful Closing Circle comments and
reflection can be - and there you get some more time.

There may also be other business in the design of the overall
conference ('networking', 'lunch', 'breaks') that naturally fit into
Open Space time, with slight adjustments in use of site or schedule.
Then you have still *more* time for the OS.

And so on.

Nigel - you know this one - but we've done OS with bankers, engineers,
emergency responders... there is no 'traditional' audience for OS -
rather, when it's the right tool for the job - for time, space, a
meaningful-to-participants theme/focusing question, and desired
outcomes/deliverables, it works with anyone...

Cheers from a gray California morning with trees on fire with autumn
color,
Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Join me for the Open Space Learning Workshop
December 9-11, San Francisco

And the Open Open Space on Open Space
(for those who already use Open Space)
January 15-17, San Francisco