Bullying and OST

Anglican Chaplain angchaplain at admin.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 18:44:26 PST 2009

With 20/20 hindsight, I wonder if the question, "What do we need to do
to respect each other and get along?"  is/was the right question.

As you say, Rose, it appears that students know (at a cognitive level)
what to do, but they don't do it. Which might point to a much deeper
psycho/systemic/social set of forces (part of which Harrison alludes
to). I really feel for these kids - it's feels like they are trapped in
a nightmare - like one of those dreams one can have, where you can see
it all unfolding and you feel incapable to do anything about it.  Of
course that is not an 'escape' from everyone ultimately accepting their
share of responsibility, but it suggests some broader questions to me
about what kind of personal 'way of being' might be nurtured, and what
kind of environment might  be imagined and co-created. I don't want to
sound trite. It sounds very challenging.

What might that broader systemic convening question be?  When it
doubt...open more space. Think creatively about who might make a
contribution and specifically invite them. Was anyone and everyone able
to come? I am recalling Jamie Oliver's work in the UK where they
discovered a direct link between the food provided in the canteen and
behaviour in the classroom. That's another example of looking at the
whole system.  Don't give up hope. Keep the conversations alive.

Also, some places have benefitted from capacity building in non-violence
training (Rosenberg has done some great stuff on this).

Michael Wood