center and periphery

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Tue Nov 24 01:56:53 PST 2009

Hi,

I am following the emerged discussion with whole attention, sitting in
front of my laptop. And at the same time I am sitting in the periphery
of European Union, quite close to its border. And I have been living in
the periphery of an Union before. It was the Soviet Union. And again I
lived very close to its border.

When writing this message I am at the same time in the periphery and in
the center. As in virtual space everyone is in the center. So when there
appears a new center, a new virtual space for Open Space practitioners
there should be no worries. But it seems that in the virtual space we
still operate with categories used for physical space. As there is a
center (of attention) in physical space and the periphery and the
border. Space could be very open and it still have a border - those
being outside are welcome to come inside. So the google search engine
seems to measure the center of attention, forming the sociogram of
participants in a given field.
I guess, this discussion is also about the center of attention and the
rivalry for that place in the center of the virtual space. And one
reason for that rivalry is that our attentive capacities are limited.

with warm regards,

Arno Baltin
Tallinn