A deep bow to the WOSonOS 09 Taiwan Host Team

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Nov 6 14:24:49 PST 2009

Now, a few weeks later, after resting and savoring memories...
WHAT an experience that was - to learn, share, explore, eat, laugh,
walk, share culture and eat some more during the WOSonOS 2009 in
Taipei, Taiwan!

I learned so much about Taiwanese history, culture, and people, about
the marvelous Open Space work that is happening all over Taiwan, and
about the work of all the participants from all the countries.
It was a wonderful opportunity to enjoy old and new friends, and - as
is always the case in an international WOSonOS - to learn so very much
from people whose cultures, viewpoints and experiences are so
different than my own cultural experiences and ways of knowing.

This is why I save up my pennies (or Taiwan New Dollars) for attending
an international WOSonOS whenever I can - I learn more, stretch more,
and soak up more in an environment that is not like my own.
And can I just say? You fabulous Taiwanese colleagues have brought
warmth and hospitality, welcoming and ...okay, eating...to a level
that I can only strive to equal with visitors to my own country.

A few images from my visit and the conference:

- The Global Village Marketplace and Silent Auction tables - a
tradition at WOSonOS where we buy and sell wonderful items from our
countries to raise resources and awareness for the Access Queen
(resource-sharing) Project - was full of delights.  Postcards of Mark
Pixley's cats (China), stationery and linen napkins (India), handmade
bag (Denmark), Pure Maple Butter (Canada), silk scarf and crocheted
purses (Aboriginal tribes / Taiwan), sea sponges and bumblebee pins
(USA), place mats (Philippines), fabric bags and coin purses
(Vietnam), artful file boxes and a butterfly bookmark (Japan), jade
and silver jewelry (Taiwan), a soft toy bear (Germany), and more.  Oh
yes, and: because of the amazing way people shop together in Taiwan,
we renamed it just for this conference: the "Talking Auction". (!)
All this - plus the wonderful ET placed the money raised in a
traditional red envelope, to bring even more good luck.

- Another WOSonOS tradition: "International Suitcase Cuisine" - my
favorite moment was sharing tastes of good strong cheese (from
Germany) with three Taiwanese university students who had never tried
cheese before. The sharp taste and smell surprised them - oh the faces
they made! And we laughed because this sort of cheese is an acquired
taste perhaps for many Taiwanese - just like 'stinky doufu' is to some
non-Taiwanese. Very similar - smells strong, tastes great...

- Yet another WOSonOS tradition: Each year's WOSonOS Host Team has the
option to donate what they wish back into the Access Queen Project,
after all bills are paid.
I am delighted to announce that the WOSonOS 2009 Taiwan Host Team is
donating part of the proceeds from the conference back into the Access
Queen Project - continuing the tradition of 'paying it forward' for
Askers at the 2010 Berlin WOSonOS.  AND: With part of the proceeds
from the conference they have created a local fund to support local /
Taiwan-based Open Space 'practitioners in the making'.

So you see - our community's generosity and awareness for others is a
seed that grows into a plant, that makes seeds...that we plant in the
ground again..,to grow in more ways, as together we help those with
lower incomes learn in and about Open Space with us all.

Other images:

- Tasting every single kind of food my hosts introduced me to at the
fabulous Taipei night markets. Animal, vegetable, mineral. Sweet,
savory, in a soup, on a stick, in a cup.  Totally fabulous and
interesting.

- Visiting the wonderful Museum of Formosan Aborigines - to learn
about tribal crafts, textiles, musical instruments, and pottery.

- Sitting for hours and hours at the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park -
having interesting conversations with elderly men, being introduced to
peoples' dogs, laughing with babies, and being amazed at where I was

- Soaking in Laura Hsu's favorite hot springs spa, looking up at the
stars

- Visiting the wonderful team at Compassion International

- Witnessing my colleague's enjoyment as volunteers from the
community offered complimentary I Ching readings and knife massages at
the conference (you'll have to ask Suzanne Daigle about that)

- Engaging in rich Open Space discussion about everything from using
OS in hierarchal / patriarchal / tribal cultures - to how we of
different cultures communicate in groups - even turning the mirror on
the discussion dynamics within our very conversation circles

- Strangers on the street missing their busses on purpose, just to
linger and share thoughts with us about Taiwan, places to go and
enjoy, and cultural exchange

A deep bow to you all, from Access Queen and from her close friend,
Lisa Heft...

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Join me for the Open Space Learning Workshop
December 9-11, San Francisco

And the Open Open Space on Open Space
(for those who already use Open Space)
January 15-17, San Francisco