Necessity of space

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sat May 23 08:42:43 PDT 2009

Christy, Wendy, Pat, and all--

Alexander writes:

        First among these concepts of matter is the most fundamental one
        —that life is a quality of space itself.
        One aspect of this structure is the “wabi-to-sabi” of Zen
        teaching: The Japanese concept of beauty which is best
        translated as “rusty beauty.” These things are all beautiful,
        but they are damaged. Life itself is damaged, and nothing which
        is perfect can be truly alive. Christopher Alexander, The Nature
        of Order: An Essay on the Art of Building and The Nature of the
        Universe, Book One: The Phenomenon of Life, p 60.

Which leads me to propose an experiment to all our OS friends: Have any
of the spaces we've opened had more life and others less? Or any of the
aspects of them--has this closing circle had more life than that?

Alexander further writes:
        It was clear, in the context in which I was asking these
        questions, that I intended to use the criterion of life as a
        basis for making distinctions about good and bad in
        architecture, and that I was intending, further, to encourage
        students to make buildings which have as much life as possible.
        Christopher Alexander, The Nature of Order: An Essay on the Art
        of Building and The Nature of the Universe, Book One: The
        Phenomenon of Life, p 75.

			:- Doug.