looking for OS practitioner in Philadelphia area

Jon Harvey only.connect at virgin.net
Tue May 5 08:59:25 PDT 2009

Good words Lisa – thanks.

I once facilitated 4 women only OS events for the Metropolitan Police called
"Dancing on the Glass Ceiling" which involved about 700 police officers and
staff. The rest of the OS team were women, the clients were all women too. I
happened to be the one person in my old organisation who had both police
knowledge and experience of facilitating OS events. I said the intro on each
occasion and then hid in the walls for the rest of the time. It seemed to
work OK.

But had the client said – we want a woman to do this – I would have been
happy to oblige and worked to enable my colleagues to front everything up.

In the end – as others have said – our role is to be where the client is at
- and not to impose our perspectives on them. I watched a great TV play last
night on British Television - called End Game
(http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/2009/03/19/endgame-a-film-on-apartheid-h
olds-hope/) Towards the end of the film - one of the key people representing
one of the sides in the talks said to the facilitator "it takes a big man to
be invisible - thank you"

I strive to be invisible in all the facilitation that I do.

Jon

Jon Harvey
Director

www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk
+44 (0) 7771 537535
+44 (0) 1280 822585

jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk

Helping you connect the prose and the passion
to deliver superlative results

http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve
public services
http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles, ideas & ramblings
linked to my consultancy

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd
Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD
Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11