Begining in OS

Jack Martin Leith jack at jackmartinleith.com
Tue May 5 05:29:14 PDT 2009

Just seen your OSList post.

I've been working with Open Space since the late 1980s and have seen the it
evolve from something regarded as risky and left field into a mature,
mainstream method with competitors (e.g. BarCamp http://barcamp.org).

I'd love to be able to say "I'm running an Open Space event - come and help
me, and clock up some flying hours".

But there are some buts:

   - What the client is really paying for is the consulting work and the
   design and organisation of the event. Facilitating the event is the easy
   bit that happens at the end. So to get maximum value from working with an
   experienced practitioner you'd really need to be involved in the entire
   project.
   - How do I explain your presence to the client?
   - What would your role be on the day, aside from helping get the space
   ready? Once the agenda is created and the sessions are up and running,
   there's very little for the facilitator to do.
   - I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this, but what the
   hell: Here in the UK, OS consulting is a crowded marketplace. Do
   I really want to help make it even more crowded?

I mentioned that last point because I suspect that the "training a new
competitor" issue is often there, if unconscious, when an OS consultant
is asked "Can I be an extra pair of hands?" and it's best that you're aware
of it. Although the Open Space community is very supportive, and I do
whatever I can to share knowledge and help others, the reality is that we're
operating in a very competitive environment. I've competed with friends and
collaborators for OS work on several occasions.

You might want to consider becoming a co-creator of Osuki (www.osuki.net),
the community hub and resource centre for Open Space Technology in the UK
and Ireland. For a one-off payment of £20 you can create your own page(s)
and publish blog posts. The Osuki Consultants Register (
www.osuki.net/?page_id=10)currently lists 18 people. Please send me an email
if you'd like to make it 19.

I really question the value of sitting in on an OS event. What does this
give you that you don't already have, aside from the ability to say to a
potential client: "I helped facilitate an Open Space event for XYZ
Corporation"? (Which would be stretching the truth!)

Far better to do a few pro-bono or low cost Open Space projects for local
organisations and community groups, and learn from your mistakes.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please get in touch.

Wishing you success and satisfaction,

Jack

Jack Martin Leith
Innovation Next : An emerging hub for innovation next practice
Bristol, United Kingdom
Mobile: 07831 840541 (+44 7831 840541)
Skype: jackmartinleith
email: jack at innovationnext.org