Report on the First Real Time Virtual Collaboration conference

Holger Nauheimer (Change Facilitation) holger at CHANGE-FACILITATION.ORG
Tue May 12 02:36:22 PDT 2009

We did it! After a two months preparation, our international team hosted the
first Real Time Virtual Facilitation workshop, applying Open Space
principles and using a lot of different social media tools.

A complete (and outstanding) mindmap covering the event can be found at
http://www.mindmeister.com/de/maps/show_public/20991099

After the agenda wall had been opened 48 hours prior to the event, 50
particpants from around the world met in a big (Skype) chat room for the
opening session. From there, they went into "break-out rooms", using chat
rooms, Skype voice conferences, Dimdim (conference platform), different
Twitter applications, Etherpad (a simplified Wiki in which people can
simultanously work on a document, and chat at the side), and other tools.

These were the topics discussed:
* Collective Action
* Communication tools for the Manager 2.0
* Introducing social media to large organisations
* OpenMoney: connecting social entrepreneurs with new currencies
* New Change Management Approach for the 21st Century?
* Interdependencies between sensible and meaningful communication and tools/
technological development
* Global Skills
* Community Owned Communications Infrastructure
* Collaborative Intelligence in the Workplace

After two break out sessions, people reconvened in the big chat room, where
we facilitated a reflection session, in which we heard words like:
"thrilling", "encouraging", "roller coaster", "what's next?", "bacterial",
"fallingoffthecliff", and much more.

We learned a lot as a team about technological barriers, virtual
facilitation skills etc.

We will be back with an even improved concept!

Holger