Necessity of space

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Tue May 5 08:20:12 PDT 2009

Hi space dancers:

Recently someone pointed us to a poem about how open spaces are
necessary for a fire. It has had me pondering.

At first I said, Sure, she is speaking of oxygen. Fires need oxygen. Now
I am not so sure that is what she meant, or at least what is true. So I
am asking you my friends, what you have observed.

Just how important is the physical space for opening space? I am not
talking about amenities like chairs and windows and air, nor about the
exact number of square meters needed per person (this is cultural: some
cultures want to be close enough to feel each other's breath; some want
more distance). In Open Space Online we have a metaphorical space for
our chats; in face to face, we have that physical space. Is that space
in the center of the circle a separate, unnoticed but essential, element
in conversation?

The flames need to lick upwards, the heat needs someplace to go, the
light needs to escape. The betweens are necessary to give birth to the
what and who is emerging from our collective. What is the role of space?

				:- Doug.