Help!

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Mar 31 13:33:07 PDT 2009

Cheers Brother Chris, from under an African sky. Email access just opened
up for a moment which lets me off my two meticais (the coin here). It may
also mean format is off so thank you all with your patience if it is.

So okay.  So you have tables and chairs. Is there a way you
can set up something in the center so when you talk folks can see you as
well as hear you?  If it's possible. A raised platform.  If it's
not possible, not worries.

If you can operate from the center,
allt he better for *indicating* the circle even if you don't have it. With
your every movement.

You can put topic sign-making materials on
each table.
So folks make their signs, come up to your microphone (or
whevever) and then go to the fabric wall to post their signs if you
use...
Velcro dots? I've used those for fabric walls before. One
piece pulls off of the other - one is placed on the wall; the other
adheres to the paper sign. Would that work?
Or hmmm. Safety
pins?
Sticky wall that the site staff can hang from above?
Canadian tables?

Or let's say you cannot post
anything.
You say the principles and law verbally (no posters
if that's not possible)
People name their topics and put their topic
signs (on heavy card stock) on a 'stanchion' (metal stand that holds a
card) in the center of the table.
It shifts from being total Open
Space to being a bit of a 'Birds of a Feather'.

Or, if you have
that technology - you make a screen that is a table with cells, with times
on that grid.
As people name their topics, someone at the computer
fills in a next cell (like the way OpenSpace-Online would do it). So folks
don't select their times but they all get their ideas up there.
When
it is one time zone, the person at the computer highlights or enlarges a
column and everyone can see it as a projected Agenda Wall.
If you
have multiple screens you can put principles and law up.

Lessons learned on this list include implying the circle with signage,
placement, body, whatever you can use.

We believe in you,
amazing Chris,

Lisa
I go to bed now and dream of you as
the African stars twinkle in the clear night sky...

L i s a H e f t
Consultant,
Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g S p a c e