would you do it?

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Jun 28 15:00:49 PDT 2009

Hello Eva,

To the many questions and suggestions you've received, I'll add a
story.  I was asked to do a keynote at a conference on Open Space.
Since Harrison had sent them my way because he had a conflict and had
originally intended to do it, I didn't think twice.  I said "yes".
Then I discovered that what they wanted for the keynote was an Open
Space.  They were expecting 150 people and I had... 1.5 hours!

Since this story is in the OSlist archives, I've copied it below.

One last item about this story that I discovered recently.  It turns
out that the person who wanted the OS keynote was Steve Cady, who
joined with Tom Devane and me for the second edition of The Change
Handbook.  Steve had never seen an Open Space.  It was his way of
experiencing the process and he had no idea what he was asking by
requesting it be done in 1.5 hours.

appreciatively,
Peggy

On Aug 3, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Peggy S. Holman wrote:

> Ralph -- I had a really different experience with 90 minutes.  I'm
> guessing
> that it was because the topic was real (not just a demo).
>
> It was the keynote for the Bowling Green MSOD Alumni conference.  They
> wanted the 150 or so participants to experience Open Space.  After
> my first
> thought of "impossible", I thought, "why not?"
>
> It worked incredibly well!  I was amazed at the energy of the group
> and that
> they really did move from topic to topic.  It was like watching a
> speeded up
> video of an OS.  For the closing circle, I invited people to reflect
> using a
> word or phrase.  This actually left time in the closing for Q&A on
> OST.
>
> Mind you, I did this for graduates of an OD program who were as
> interested
> in the form as they were the content of the gathering.
>
> My take on it was that it would be impossible to do any subject
> justice in
> 90 minutes.  Given that,
> rather than set the expectation of even one quality conversation,
> use the
> time for another purpose: to invite people to notice who else has
> passion
> for the same topics as you.  20 minutes to open, three 15 minute
> sessions,
> 20 minutes to close about does it.  In that time, people will find
> out the
> range of subjects of interest and who else cares about them.
> They'll be
> able to touch in with the folks they meet after the OS.  And another
> benefist
> is that it leaves participants with a very different embodied
> experience of
> what OST is.
>

> Joe -- to your second question - OS at a conference.  I have also
> done this.
> It was a conference track that ran in parallel with other more
> traditinal
> sessions for the last 2 days of a three day conference.  Some people
> stayed
> for the whole OS, others floated in and out.  They loved it.
>
> home in Seattle at last,
> Peggy

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger