How singular is our principle...

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Thu Jun 25 04:57:40 PDT 2009

Bhav and all,

Because I, too, had been bothered by the question, I once asked a
professional grammarian of English (also known as a high school
English teacher) which is correct, "is" or "are".  We discussed the
matter, she turned it over and over in conversation, and considered
the question from several angles.  In the end, she decided either is
correct (in other words, both are correct) and made an excellent case
for it, although I cannot now recall what she said.

I am now very satisfied that when I use "Whoever comes are...", which
I always do, I am on safe ground.  But I'm not sure she was (is) right.

So how go (goes?) things where you...  be?

Ralph Copleman