How can we foster sustainable outcomes?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Jun 28 05:51:14 PDT 2009

Raffi -- alternative harvesting, if I can call it that, has been around for
a bit. There was a marvelous OS done with a group of Arts Councils where all
the "reports were sung, danced, drawn, whatever. The use of graphics in OS
started, I suppose with the "father of Group Graphics" David Sibbet, an old
friend. I always loved what he did (drew) -- but would chide him gently by
pointing out that it really wasn't "Group Graphics" -- but it was David's
Graphics (which were superb!)  Were we able to make it truly the Group's
graphics that would be a different thing.

My experience has been that the more you do for people, the less they do for
themselves (duh). Obviously things we do for each other can be very nice,
indeed wonderful. And it is also true that things we do for others are to
some extent, disempowering. In small doses this is great, but much of what
passes for facilitation takes this "helpfulness" to an extreme, I think. At
worst, the facilitator takes on the whole burden and is totally exhausted --
and the people are reduced to the level of incompetent children. This of
course makes them quite dependant, and thereby insures the facilitator's
continuing employment.

My aim is always to do as little as possible, not because I am lazy or nasty
(although I may well be both:-)) - but because I have complete confidence
that the people can and will take full responsibility for what they care
about. In doing this, they will usually manifest a level of inventiveness
that I never would have thought of - and no matter what, their invention
will be appropriate to their situation. In a word they have that great
sensation of experiencing their own power - that is called empowerment.
Empowerment is not something you can do for another - you must claim it for
yourself. Indeed, if I "empower" you - you remain in my power.

Or something

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options