SPAM-LOW: Whoever comes is the right people

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Thu Jun 25 00:27:56 PDT 2009

This is such a fascinating conversation.  I've always used good ole'
Strunk & White to help me out--on either side of the debate.  S&W
pretty much has biblical status among grammar freaks.  So here are
some of the most interesting bits:
Elementary Rules of usage #9.  "The number of the subject determines
the number of the verb. "

but English being english....this is followed up by all of the
exceptions; my favourite being:
"Some nouns that appear to be plural are usually construed as singular
and given a singular verb. In these cases, the writer must simply
learn the idiom...The contents of a jar may be singular or plural,
depending on what's in the jar---jam or marbles."  (so to Harrison's
point---people or People :))

And the best bit of all, from the introduction to "An Approach to
Style":
"Here we leave solid ground.  Who can confidently say what ignites a
certain combination of words, causing them to explode in the mind? Who
knows why certain notes in music are capable of stirring the listener
deeply, though the same notes slightly rearranged are impotent? These
are high mysteries, and this chapter is a mystery story, thinly
disguised....The preceding chapters contain instructions drawn from
established English usage; this one contains advice drawn from a
writer's experience of writing.  Since the book is a rule book, these
cautionary remarks, these subtly dangerous hints, are presented in the
form of rules, but they are, in essence, mere gentle reminders: they
state what most of us know and at times forget."

Sound familiar?? :)

If you don't own a copy of Strunk and White's, "The Elements of
Style"  and you write at all regularly in English, i encourage you to
see if you can find a copy in your local used bookstore.  Probably the
best 85 pages your writing will ever experience.

hugs,
Wendy

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil
CEO Prospera Consulting
wendy at xe.net
1-800-713-2351

The moment of change is the only poem. -- Adrienne Rich