Tips for presenting Open Space to a Peace & Justice center?

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jun 15 16:17:44 PDT 2009

Harold,

In addition to the many wonderful events listed on the world map, in
2003, a group of us co-hosted the Practice of Peace (PoP) at the
Whidbey Institute, near Seattle, Washington.  We had over 130 people
from 24 countries, including 13 in high conflict areas.  Information
on it is here: www.practiceofpeace.com.  (Scroll down for the original
gathering; a second one was spawned in Albuquerque two years later.)

All these years later, the outcomes still ripple.  I saw a showing of
Sweet Crude (http://www.sweetcrudemovie.com/) this weekend at the
Seattle International Film Festival.  It is a "grandchild" of PoP,
inspired by a documentary filmmaker's participation in a "Global
Citizen Journey".  This idea of Susan Partnow's got legs at PoP.  The
first journey was to build a library in a village on the Niger Delta.
It was done with a delegation of people from North America and
Nigeria.  This location emerged because of the connection at PoP with
Nigerian Joel Bisina.  (Another wildly unexpected outcome:  Joel
married Mary Ella Keblusek of Whidbey Island, Washington shortly after
they met at PoP.)

I guess the message in this is that OS, with a powerful question and a
diverse mix of people who care, is a remarkable incubator for
innovation and action.

I've taken to describing four likely outcomes.  People:
·     Are stretched, refreshed and energized in their own work;

·      Connect with others, finding synergies and often forging
unlikely partnerships;

·      Undertake breakthrough initiatives as they discover their
differences add up to unexpected ideas; and

·      Over time, shape new and larger stories that hold their
differences coherently, forming a new cultural narrative that wisely
integrates conflicting perspectives and renews a sense of connection
to each other and a larger spirit of wholeness.

Best to success to you,
Peggy

P.S.  Michael -- I just made a note to put PoP and a few other events
on the world map....

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger