Wall and Technology

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Jun 3 12:51:40 PDT 2009

I would hope that even when technology is available, it is not the
driver of the design decisions.
I'd hope that design - just like any facilitation design - starts with
overarching objectives, desired outcomes, assessment and analysis of
time, physical space, issues and numbers of participants, and that
choice of tool(s) (including whether it's Open Space or another
dialogic process -and- what sorts of tech tools may be useful) grow
directly from the specifics of human dynamics, ways brains / people
think, impact on or extension of a desired element - all parts of
anything you're introducing into the full system (from design
adjustments to tools) being thought about as they interrelate to the
whole and to the objectives.

My best learning on this was in a workshop given by the wonderful
Eugene Kim on collaboration using tech tools - two thirds of the
workshop was first spent on what are the feelings / elements of / ways
to foster group collaboration, experiencing some of those ways to
fully integrate and understand the nature of collaboration, and *then*
a brief look at if there are any tech tools that improve upon what
people can do with their bodies and minds in the physical space.

So for example, sure, it would save time for folks to electronically
scan their handwritten notes - however this would remove the
opportunity for people to think while they are transcribing about how
to adjust the framing for the outside reader (the one who couldn't be
in the physical discussion at the time). So each gain is a ... well
not a loss, but an impact, that I'm hoping is thoughtfully considered.
The other interesting thing that happens when people transcribe is the
conversations that happen at the Newsroom - which is also *the work*
just as much as in the discussion circles. Not that a physical
Newsroom is required - just one of the reasons sometimes a physical
Newsroom is intentionally designed into the process. It also is gives
a visible, tangible sense of shared responsibility.

Folks can take notes on their laptops, and / however the impact is
that it is written in 'quick-speak' / 'quick-think' (my own words)
which communicates what happens very differently (if at all) to many
outside readers (the others in the event who did not get to that
conversation).  Notes can be sent to a wiki, however the impact can
often be that less notes get in, only those whose culture or ways of
absorbing info includes going to webspaces access the notes, or other
elements that should be considered.  Many tech tools fit with 'instant
responder' learners or those already adept at the tools, so it might
do well to consider the full group's access to learning or practice
about/with those tools so all have equal access. Tech tools can
sometimes lead to public posting of notes, and shifts in ability to
keep discussions confidential if they need to be - so thoughts about
whether those notes are posted for the public or in some way just for
the members is something to be considered.  All good - all to be
considered.

Folks can write notes on paper flip chart pads, for that matter - and
photos can be taken of those pages. However it is often the case that
those in the group find it perfect documentation of their experience,
and those who were in other groups cannot quite tell (though they can
feel a bit of) what was discussed. Again: not a negative, just
something to consider.  Sometimes facilitators choose to write notes
out on a flipchart pad both for others to see -and- to slow down the
thinking so that all types of thinkers can access that information and
'read between the lines' as well.  A design choice for the ways people
think.

Many of you have much more experience in doing Open Space with
enhanced technology than I - I'm not saying tech is bad - I'm saying I
hope that all tools are considered for their enhancement-versus-impact
rather than what may first appear as helping things get done quicker
and more smoothly.

Gabriel and Christine and the gang modeled an amazing thoughtfulness
in design (introducing tech tools into the human system of an 11,000
person conference in a way that raised individual capacity to use such
tools, enhanced community, enhanced discussion and interchange and
offered data back to the conference, in last October's Girl Scout
convention - they considered not just the tools but the visuals
connecting people to such tools, the handling of the tools, the
learning curves for the tools, the ripple effect of the introduction
of each tool during the conference and so many more thoughtful amazing
elements to use of tools to enhance and deepen everything from
discussion to data collection to in-person co-learning...).  I am in
awe. I was quite an experience.

Just some thoughts to throw into the mix. I know that some of you
great folks are stretching our learning and your own practice in the
fields of OS and technology...

And a bow right now to the fabulous Gabriela Ender for a very early
tech tool on the OS horizon, introduced some years ago and still going
strong: OpenSpace-Online...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator