Being a News desk control freak, or not?

Matilda Leyser mleyser at mac.com
Wed Jun 24 07:23:29 PDT 2009

Okay, so I totally understand how, in the role of the 'opener of the
space' once you've done, you are about as useful as a can-opener to an
already opened tin and your job then is to move yourself out the way
and discreetly, invisibly hold 'openess'.

BUT I had the experience recently (when supporting Phelim to run the
OS on Broadway) of having the 'news desk' co-ordinating role and I
found myself feeling AS IF (i.e. up for being challenged) I couldn't
melt into invisibility but had to organize, allbeit very gently,
everyone the whole day, in order to get the reports out and on the
'Breaking News' wall. I was not able to trust to the fundamental
principles of self organization and I did not enjoy this in myself.
Could I have walked away and it would have all been just fine? What
are others experiences in this area?

Harrison's reply I am assuming will be: "Leave them to it- they've
been at it for several billion years- go and get a martini!" But I am
looking forward to it anyway.....and others......

Love

Matilda x

Sent from my iPhone