AW: [OSLIST] Wall and Technology

Reinhard Kuchenmueller mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Mon Jun 8 04:26:38 PDT 2009

this thread about technology invites me to talk about the most ancient technology available - hand drawn images! Since at least 40.000 years our forefathers in open space used them to record what was important, what was sacred or what enjoyed the people. Writing is just 6.000 years old, and as a means for normal people to record something just about some hundred years. And still we use it as a givens and forget about our creative heritage of drawing.

What has that to do with OST? I think a lot! Since I experienced my first open space with Harrison at the lake of Starnberg in Bavaria, I think it was 1998 or 99 - me and my wife and partner Marianne were invited to do a visual record of it - I watched the many beautiful aspects of this ingenious method, which I admire a lot. And always I wondered, why nobody comes out with a proposal to improve the end of the meeting. Everybody seems to be so fascinated by the simple and strong elements of it, that nobody talks about this - in my humble opinion - week point.

Everybody is happy to join his or her groups. Somebody writes a short summary afterwards, on flip charts, on paper, in the computer, and that's it. The fate of this summary, like in all traditional conferences, is, that almost nobody cares to read it. And for those who did not take part in this group, it is absolutely not sexy to decipher the notes. So everybody is concentrated on the outcome of his group, basta!

Last year, after accompanying many os events over the years, I did my first os myself. And I introduced something I call "Visualized Open Space". I did not draw at all, but three experienced girls took part in every group for some time and made a visual summary of the essentials, without interfering. And in the evening before the final round we showed thes images - about 150 of them, drawn in "Visual Language", that means a combination of image and text, with some beautiful music, for about 10 minutes. Everybody who took the talking stick afterwards more or less said the same, how he/she was sceptical both of os and visualization at the beginning, but now after experiencing both, everybody was impressed and satisfied. And everybody had a short and clear sight of all the events he had not taken part in, and so of the big picture of the whole event. They said: "you have brought it to the point, fair and clear, even with some humor!".

I think, if possible, every os could benefit from this technology enormously, using some visual facilitators to accompany the event. But of course more often the client will not pay for that. So here comes my second proposal: why not encourage the participants , at least one in each group, to take some little cards and draw some images, as a personal summary, and to show them in a slide show in the evening with music? If necessary there could be a little training beforehand, but that is not essential.

I even could imagine that some scilled os facilitators use their presence to visualize during the day, going from group to group, while being available and open if needed (but I think here I am touching a delicate point of the self understanding of the facilitators, WHOW!!!).

Over the time both ways, to visualize important meetings as external facilitators, and visualizing other meetings by the participants, could develop a heritage of examples, and maybe improve the method over what we can imagine so far.

Nobody ever in all the years I was visualizing os sessions mentioned, that my view ws a hindrance for the people, something between them and the theme, some unallowed external influence. In the contrary, it was as if my little images were activating inner images within everybody (David Sibbet once called that "Cultural Repatterning"). A gift for everybody to get emotionalized and awake.

So what do you say to this technology, which is easily available everywhere waiting to be activated?

mit freundlichen Grüßen
best regards

Reinhard Kuchenmüller

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE