An Experiment in Closing Space

Steve Engle stefano.engle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:07:29 PST 2009

I have some random responses;

- Eastern Philosophy; Craig, your comments, and the image it gives me,
reminds me of this poem;

Horses have hooves to carry them over frost and snow, and hair to protect
them from wind and cold. They eat grass and drink water, and fling up their
tails and gallop. Such is the real nature of horses. Ceremonial halls and
big dwellings are of no use to them. One day Polo (famous horse-trainer),
{44} appeared, saying, "I am good at managing horses." So he burned their
hair and clipped them, and pared their hooves and branded them. He put
halters around their necks and shackles around their legs and numbered them
according to their stables. The result was that two or three in every ten
died. Then he kept them hungry and thirsty, trotting them and galloping
them, and taught them to run in formations, with the misery of the tasselled
bridle in front and the fear of the knotted whip behind, until more than
half of them died. The potter says, "I am good at managing clay. If I want
it round, I use compasses; if rectangular, a square." The carpenter says, "I
am good at managing wood. If I want it curved, I use an arc; if straight, a
line." But on what grounds can we think that the nature of clay and wood
desires this application of compasses and square, and arc and line?
Nevertheless, every age extols Polo for his skill in training horses, and
potters and carpenters for their skill with clay and wood. Those who manage
(govern) the affairs of the empire make the same mistake. I think one who
knows how to govern the empire should not do so. For the people have certain
natural instincts -- to weave and clothe themselves, to till the fields and
feed themselves. This is their common character, in which all share. Such
instincts may be called "Heaven born." ... (see the rest here
http://www.mindgazer.org/tao/chtzu_hoves.htm)

- In terms of people approaching the facilitator, I am reminded of "The
Work" of Byron Katie, where a lot of the facilitation seems to be about
asking what is really the truth, and getting people to let down their
stories.  Once in Gestalt class, I remember my client went quite bizerk over
some seemingly miniscule thing from a dream, and scared me.  My teacher
sensed my fear and reminded me that it was not my job to be in charge of
this client, or their behavior, it was my job to hold space.  My words on
this do not carry much experience, but from what I gather, in OS the
facilitator must really resist being drawn into this stuff.

- I have also seen a very effective strategy in simply naming the experience
for people.  Once in a workshop a participant became nauseous, and the
solution employed successfully by the facilitator, was to acknowledge the
nausea, having the participant say out loud, "I feel nauseous."  Much to the
relief of all the participants, the acknowledgement was sufficient to get
past the nausea and get to the real issue.

love and light,
Steve