invitation to join a small group of interesting folks in Canada to discuss Harrison's New book via PHONE

Judy Gast jgast at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 28 11:48:58 PST 2009

Hello everyone out there in OS cyberland..

I am seeking a few folks who are available and interested in joining several Open Space types (interesting ones) in Canada to discuss and learn together from Harrison's new book, Wave Rider, via PHONE CONFERENCE calls. (That is, dial into a US or Canadian phone number during a time that is mutually convenient for people located in Eastern and Central time zone.)

The invitation below (previously sent to the Open Space Institute of Canada dist list) details the concept and proposed logistics.

Please email or call me if you are interested or want to know more.    As soon as the 'right people'  show up (i.e. indicate interest) I will convene an short planning Conference call to discuss and decide on logistics.

Judy Gast
Organizational Effectiveness Consultant
Barnes Management Group
1071 King St. West Suite 102
M6K 3K2
www.barnesmanagementgroup.ca
Phone 905-824-4352

Open Space Institute of Canada

www.openspacecanada.org       info at openspacecanada.org

TO: OSIC members and friends

RE: Idea to start a Discussion of Harrison's new book via Conference call format

Hello all,

      This email is to let you know about an idea to convene a teleconference book discussion group and see if you are interested in participating.

      As many of you know, Harrison Owen, originator of Open Space Technology, has just published a new book called Wave Rider: Leadership for High Performance in a  Self-Organizing World (Barrett-Koehler, ISBN 978-1-57675=617-1).  I just received my copy in the mail via Amazon.

      After reading the testimonials blurbs on the back cover, I am intrigued and ready to get into it.  One blurb says, "Shows us why almost everything we think we know about planning, organizing, directing, and controlling is wrong... and what we need to do instead."

      So what does Harrison Owen, have to add to the litany of literature about Leadership?  Is there a 'new twist' on this age-old topic?  How can we put into use his theories and stories?

      I am curious to find out.  I know that when I read books, if I have people to discuss the concepts with, I am more likely to find the gems of meaning, and incorporate them into my life and work.   I have had several conversations with Larry Peterson, who has read Wave Rider, and he is keen on participating and contributing.

Here is the idea and request.

IDEA

Are you interested in participating in a series of conference calls to discuss and review the book "Wave Rider"?

Below are some initial suggestions (based on my conversations with Larry) regarding how it could work:

1)  Schedule three 1 1/2 hour conference calls one month apart (dates/timing to be determine by participants).  Make it easy to participate, so those who 'sign up' are able and committed to 'show up'.   If it's not 'over' after three calls, we schedule three more...

2)  Limit participation to 6-8 people (who are committed to attend the three calls), so that we can get into rich conversation and dialogue (with more people, it will change the nature of the conversations).  If more are interested, a second group could form.

3)  Have a volunteer 'facilitator' for each call (could be same or different person each time), who takes on certain responsibilities.  For example, the facilitator decides which pages of the book will be discussed, sends reminder emails with a few discussion provoking questions that trigger thought, thinks about the structure of the call and facilitates to ensure all have opportunity to speak and, perhaps, follows up with summary of key discussion points, request for feedback (i.e. on format and facilitation of call) and reminder of next call.

4)       At the end of three sessions, the group talks about what worked, what we could/should change, and continues or adjourns.

5)       If we want, we could invite Harrison to participate in a session to answer questions and hear his thoughts directly.

REQUEST

If interested, please email me at jgast at barnesmanagementgroup.ca or call me at 905-824-4352.  Once I assess the level of interest and availability, I will schedule a conference bridge to convene an intial short planning call.

This invitation has been sent to the OSIC distribution list with the intent to provide a program/activity that both adds value to OSIC members, and continues to build community amongst OSIC members.  Once I get a sense of the level of interest, I will assess whether to send it to others.

Judy Gast

905-824-4352

jgast at barnesmanagementgroup.ca

or