web tools

John Engle john at johnengle.net
Sat Jan 10 07:39:55 PST 2009

Thank you Jack, Karen, Anne, Barry, Thomas and Danilo!

I've found your messages (all below) EXTREMELY helpful both for my
Haiti organizing work and also for a current client.

No doubt, a simple, quick, free solution for inviting people to
connect around a conference is Facebook's Event feature. And beyond
that is their Group feature. I had responded to others but never even
set one of either of these up myself. Now I have! Thank you, Danilo!
The advantage here is that Facebook is increasingly part of people's
worlds as opposed to being yet another place to visit. Your insights
here, Anne and Barry are very helpful.

The links to tools you provided, Jack, are fabulous! The ning is set
up better than I've ever seen and the crowdvine and pathable things
look super helpful.

Insights that all of you provided are helping me think these things
through. And, for the online conferencing services, I look forward to
spending more time with your suggestions, Karen and Thomas.

Thanks again!

appreciatively,

John

On Jan 10, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Jack Martin Leith wrote:

> Here's a Ning site supporting a conference where I'm facilitating
> the Open Space bit:
>
> http://cuppcop.ning.com
>
> Have a look and see what you think. It seems to be working pretty
> well.
>
> Also check out Crowdvine: www.crowdvine.com.
>
> Pathable http://pathable.com is good for hooking people up via
> snazzy name tags.
>
> Jack
>
> Jack Martin Leith
> Bristol, United Kingdom
> Mobile: 07831 840541 (+44 7831 840541)
> Skype: jackmartinleith
> email: jack at jackmartinleith.com
> www.jackmartinleith.com
>
> 2009/1/9 Karen Sella <karen at luminacoaching.com>
> Hi John,
> I have found WebEx to be quite useful...
> Warmly,
> Karen
> Hello,

I am in one group that uses Ning and although it is beautifully simple
to use and adapt to your own purposes the uptake has been erratic and
limited to a few.  It seems to me that Ning suffers from being
detached from the rest of the individuals in the group's everyday
computer life.  The friend who set up the group finds linkedIN much
more satisfying because there is a large pool of like minded people
engaging so like OSLIST there is rarely down time.

I myself find just keeping up with the conversations generated in the
various online courses I teach and am a student in leave me little
time to make use of other online networking tools but when my thesis
is handed in I am going to go exploring, because although I have only
engaged in Ning, and this network, I am intrigued.

All the best with your search.

Regards

Anne A Hiha

My 2 cents . . .

I've started a Ning site because of a great experience I am having on
Seth Godin's Triiibes site.

I think it's a little too "heavy" to be all that useful as a "warm-up"
space . . .

Seems to be more suitable for longer term community building.

My experience is that less than 10% of the members are participating
at any given time. Seth Godin's site has @ 3700 folks . . . and
somewhere around 200 participate regularly

So . . . Until it "scales" it's not useful for folks who are
overwhelmed by the complexity it offers.

My site is at www.realestatetowncenter.ning.com and is a "closed, safe
space for REALTORS to explore issues and opportunities facing them in
today's complex market"

3 weeks in and membership is @ 25 and growing daily . . . I really am
not expecting significant chatter there until it hits at least 100
members

Hope this helps,

Hi John
Some answers regarding web conferencing.

In the Genuine Contact community we've tried a few different means for
web
conferencing/real time meetings. We had some challenges with stability
regarding Skype, Messenger (both Yahoo and Microsoft) and have now
tested
and decided to purchase licenses to use Microsoft Live Meeting which
seems
more reliable and has good and easy functionality.

We have also developed ways to facilitate real time distance meetings.
We
have captured this in a Manual. If anyone is interested there is a
file to
download from my website. Here's the direct link:
http://www.openspaceconsulting.com/default.asp?viewset=1&on=Resurser%20för
%2
0handledare&initid=109&heading=Resurser%20för
%20handledare&mainpage=template
s/01.asp?sida=84 (make sure to get all of it). Then click on "Kreativa
möten
på distans". The file is in English!

Feel free to get in touch with me if I can assist in any other way
Warm regards
Thomas Herrmann