Fear in the face of an upcoming OST-meeting

Caitlin Frost caitlin.frost at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:47:15 PST 2009

Hi Catherine,

When I am working with fear in the process of the Work of Byron Katie (an
amazing tool for individual fear work and similar to Open Space in some deep
ways) - there is a part of the process where one is invited to experience
'who would you be without that thought - in this situation, in your
life....'  When someone has difficulty letting go into the possibility held
in this inviation - I find it helpful to be clear that they are not being
asked to actually 'let it go' - just to take some time to open thier mind to
exploring what the situation/their life/their experience would be like
without the thought/belief/fear.  This differentiation seems to help relax
the power of the fear to close the mind (and heart) which often manifests in
some of the behaviours you have described - blocking, blaming, justifying,
defending....

It seems that if it is clear that the invitation in this process you
describe is to explore possibility "*as if*" the company is their own - with
some clear naming of fear and  an invitation to put the fear and concerns
aside for those hours of the Open Space - and being clear that there will be
space to re-invite that closer detail considering, discussion and
discernment again after the "as if" excercise, when the decisions are to be
made - it could allow the fear and associated behaviour to relax and some
more internal and external space to open.  And likely when the time comes to
make the decisions and revisit the concerns/fears  - the magical shift of
shared open mind and open space will offer some light into that space also.

A favorite fear quote of mine:
*"There is no greater illusion than fear.  No greater wrong than preparing
to defend yourself.  No greater misfortune than having an enemy.

**Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe."

*
*-- Tao te Ching*

Also from Byron Katie:  "Fear can be experienced only when the mind projects
the story of a past into the future." -

my thought on this- finding it true in my experience - and thinking in the
context of and facilitating and inviting Open Space - is the more we are
able to invite people (and ourselves) into exploring possibility in the
present moment (rather than projecting what it will mean or look like in the
future), the less fear we experience and the more openness of mind, heart
and possibility.

Good travels to you with this work.

Caitlin.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Catherine Pfaehler
<c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch>wrote:

>  Dear all
>

> Speaking of fear: I happen to prepare for an OST-meeting, in which the
> participants want to find the new strategy of a small graphics and printing
> company, which also offers workspaces for handicapped people. The head of
> the company took part in an OST-meeting in November and decided to use the
> same approach for his strategic planning task, thus involving all his main
> employees (and some of the handicapped people as well). They created a great
> invitation which states, amongst other things, that people will think,
> discuss and act on that day as if the company was theirs. The theme is
> "Impulse 2013", the goal is to find out what needs to happen until then to
> secure the company's well-being economically and socially.
>

> Now he tells me that about one third of his people are fearful about what's
> coming up and creating alliances to prevent change. Some of them cling to
> their machines and don't want them to become outdated, which however is
> inevitable (no more spare parts available etc.).
>

> What is a useful input I could offer him in this situation? The meeting
> will be on March 27th. (He loves sayings and keeps publishing them inside
> the company. I have asked if he knows one about fear. The one from A Course
> in Miracles is a bit too far out for his people – so I asked if perhaps it
> would be enough to post a question on the bulletin board stating "What is
> fear?")
>

> With love, Catherine
>

> Catherine Pfaehler Senn
>
> lic.oec.HSG
>
> Open Space Begleitung
>
> St. Alban-Vorstadt 15
>
> CH - 4052 Basel
>
> +41-(0)76 - 488 15 46
>
> c.pfaehler at open-space-begleitung.ch
>
> www.open-space-begleitung.ch

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

An open mind is free to do what it does best - create.     Byron Katie.

CAITLIN M FROST
Facilitation, Coaching, Project Management,
Principal - Harvest Moon Consultants Ltd.