Day 5 at Bangkok: Reports from the field and deeper listening

Holger Nauheimer holger at change-facilitation.org
Fri Feb 20 02:04:50 PST 2009

This morning, we saw the presentations of the five groups that have gone out
to the streets and followed the topics of the Open Space Technology workshop
by bringing in citizens of Bangkok virtually. One group interviewed young
people about what are their wishes from politicians (most said "no
corruption"). The group presented a slideshow on their findings. Another
group reflected about the topic of responsibility. Another Group interviewed
people from the street such as vendors etc. about why they chose to do what
they do. Another group did a survey of the use of media by young people.

See the videos and slideshows here:
http://www.change-management-blog.com/2009/02/day-5-at-bangkok-workshop-part
-1.html

After that, we went into an exercise to practice deeper listening, which I
learned from Rombout van den Nieuwenhof who written the Book Didactics of
Love. In the exercise, people work in pairs. One of the two asks their
partner the question: "Please tell me what is presence for you?" They are
encouraged to be mindfulness and listen to the entire story. The partner is
listening to themselves responding, the interviewer is observing themselves
listening. Whenever the partner falls silent, as an interviewer repeat the
same question, over and over again, for 15 minutes.. In this exercise. This
is a powerful and partly painful exercise which gives room to a deep insight
to oneself.

In the afternoon, Chaiwat and I explained the principles of Appreciative
Inquiry and World Café. Tomorrow we will end with three rounds of World Café
on the topic of impact, and then close with an Action Space. And then, I
need some rest...