Less

Dainius Baltrusaitis dainius.baltrusaitis at smart.lt
Tue Dec 8 10:24:35 PST 2009

Nice story. Less is more, isn't it?

Cheers,

Dainius

----------------------------

Dainius Baltrusaitis

SMART // Solution-Focused Consulting

Tel.    +370 37 214200

Faks.  +370 37 225134

Mob.   +370 687 99195

 <mailto:dainius.baltrusaitis at smart.lt> dainius.baltrusaitis at smart.lt

 <http://www.smart.lt/> www.smart.lt;  <http://www.pokyciai.lt/>
www.pokyciai.lt

From: OSLIST [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ralph
Copleman
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:38 PM
To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
Subject: Less

A long time ago, I learned from reading an article by Malcolm Knowles that
adults learn best when they have the opportunity to work themselves out of
chaos.  Then the work they do and the lesson they learn feel more "owned" to
them.  This makes sense to me, so I never use a grid.  I divide the wall by
days and also by morning and afternoon.  Perhaps in the name of doing one
less thing I shall drop the latter.

My instinct to think up ways to be helpful is waning.  I no longer consider
it impolite, unwelcoming, unloving, or hard-edged of me to do less for
people in OS events.

One of my favorite occurrences in OS is watching what happens when someone
arrives late.  They rarely come to me to ask what to do because they were
not present to see me do the opening and thus have no idea who I am.  So
they go to someone they know.  Ever see this happen?  Watch.  The
conversation is always very brief, then the newcomer nods, and everybody
goes about their business.

I keep imagining that some day I'll be able to do the whole opening with no
words and just a few hand signals.

Ralph Copleman

oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: