multilingual groups

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Wed Aug 26 11:06:29 PDT 2009

An open space with 500 housing tenants took place in 17 different languages
in Toronto.  That is we translated the principles and law into that many
languages and posted them on the wall.  One to one translators were offered
in 5 of the languages where the client believe there were the most
unilingual  folks.  People identified themselves before we opened the space
and developed a relationship with a translator.  One woman who only spoke
Mandarin with her translator put up a topic and led a group in English.
Most did have some English, but Toronto is a very diverse city as are the
tenants.  Most did the necessary translations for each other as Harrison
suggests, but as a progressive government agency in a country with two
official languages being visibly multi-lingual  was important.

I have also opened space with translation in French, Taiwanese and
Inuktutuk.  In the last two, I did not understand most of the conversations
or the reports but the translator did and they were great sessions.  The
critical part is helping people understand the Theme question, the
Principles and Law in their own language culture.

Larry

Larry Peterson & Associates in Transformation

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

 <mailto:larry at spiritedorg.com> larry at spiritedorg.com   416.653.4829
<http://www.spiritedorg.com/> http://www.spiritedorg.com