Incentive to participate?

David Cox dwcox at astate.edu
Wed Aug 26 13:48:30 PDT 2009

My univ is considering using Open Space for strategic planning. The
event probably will need to be held at a time when faculty are not
"officially" on campus - before a term, during a term break, or after a
term. The question has come up about offering an incentive (e.g., nice
meal, book purchase, door prizes) to encourage faculty participation. A
part of me wonders if bribing people to attend (or rewarding them
depending on your perspective) goes against the grain of simply inviting
faculty and staff to bring their passion to the event because they care?
I would greatly appreciate hearing what folks on the listserv think.
Thank you. David Cox