Poetry August 2009: a celebration and contest

Anne A Hiha anne_a_hiha at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:46:44 PDT 2009

Here are the poems!

Take some time to enjoy and celebrate the poetry of our colleagues!
Thanks to everyone who sent a poem.
The authors' names have been hidden because of the Contest.

The Contest works like this:
We use the "dot-voting" method.
As a member of OSLIST you have 5 virtual sticky dots to vote for poems below.
Choose how many of your 5 dots to give to each poem (the poem's number is above the poem) and
SEND YOUR VOTES TO ME ONLY, NOT TO THE OSLIST:
anne_a_hiha at hotmail.com

The deadline for sending your sticky dots is 11.59pm New Zealand time, Monday, 24 August 2009.

I will measure the dot mountains and announce the new Poet Laureate, and send the poems out again with the authors' names.

Have fun, and enjoy these wonderful poems.

If the above seems vaguely familiar, yes it is, I thank Jeff Aitken for his clear and succinct invitation from the 2008 contest.

Regards

Anne

Poem 1.

I invite you to share a dream of mine
and join me at WOSonOS 2009
As we share our learning in every way
in a beautiful city called Taipei.

We will stretch and learn and run around the place
as we explore and share in Open Space.
‘Li hau ba’ the Host Team will say to us
(that’s ‘Hello’ in Taiwanese to the rest of us)

‘Ni hau’ we’ll reply as we’ll learn to say
(that’s ‘Hello’ also in a Taiwanese way).
We’ll announce our topics without reservations,
co-creating an agenda of great conversations.

Any issue or topic you are passionate about -
you’ll find others who care, without a doubt.
We’ll share some thoughts and pose some questions
as we butterfly and bumblebee between the sessions.

The Law of Two Feet will take us ‘round the place,
including Global Village Marketplace
and Silent Auction so we can buy
each others’ pretty things and I’ll tell you why:

Each year we raise funds in currency and coin as
we share our resources so others can join us.
So pack along something from village or city
with a few extra dollars to buy something pretty.

Each day we will re-open space and have fun,
each night we’ll celebrate and enjoy Taiwan.
We’ll take notes as we go through our dynamic meetings
to co-create our own Book of Proceedings.

We’ll share about culture and get inspiration
exploring ideas about facilitation.
We’ll learn and grow and our skills will increase
in the use of this method for practicing peace,

for meetings and forums, idea creation,
strategy, planning, conflict transformation,
in businesses, governments and communities -
to explore complex issues and discover opportunities.

So if you think ‘Could I come too? How?’
Say it out loud and make a vow.
Gather your resources - soon you’ll say ‘Wow!’
Join us in Taiwan: register now!

Poem 2.

it is windy each day inside open space
the wild wild west of this me-we place
with hearts breaking open to all that can be
and minds sparking new thoughts and possibility

we are blowing my mind as i sit on my bum
humming drum a drum drum, and my heartbeat goes yum
and attention shifts outward forming circular sums
and trust bends back blindingly, following meaningful crumbs

i am clear that the path you and i bow to is near
in fact we're right on it right now and right here
playfully working and working at play
opening to each other, in space every day.

Poem 3.

Deep bow for open space

Daring
Effervescent
Elegant
Profound

Beautiful
Open
World.

Wisdom
Offers
Bounty

Pleasure
Essence
Every
Day.

Poem 4.

Pondering Open Space

I sit and wonder,
Why am I here?
What can I contribute?

Patience, my soul answers.
Patience, and wait.
All will come clear.

Other voices rise and fall,
Puzzled, but accepting,
Quietly I wait...

Ah, it comes to me:
Some contribute by speaking,
Others by being the deep, cool pool into which they make a splash.

I listen to their talking,
And gradually, patiently, I understand.