I did it - My First OS

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Thu Apr 30 09:50:18 PDT 2009

Dear Bui,

In the last 2 days, I had been wanting to share my thinking, which Michael
has just so well put into words. Being busy around other passions makes
space for others and then one can bumble bee in. So this bee will add one
suggestion.

Consistent with that non worried, detached approach Michael described, as
facilitator one could just open the space again inviting participants to
create a Market place for Action, writing actions on the blank topic sheets
left in the centre of the room from the opening - just like they did at the
beginning. The process will be clear instantly to participants as they are
by now familiar with it and the amazing results they just experienced.

You would have prepared post-its in advance for multiple meeting spaces;
they would stick one to their action topic sheet before posting it on the
market place.

Then even if there is only 10 minutes left for group work, whoever shows up
at each meeting place decide on a minimum amount of things and write it on a
FC sheet: the action topic title, convener, who participated, a time and
place for next meeting where the action plan will be worked out, who else
should be invited, how you will invite them and coordinates of the contact
person coordinating this next step.

You could have even printed these questions on a Flip chart page or spread
sheets with the questions on chairs in the circle before you reconvened
after the discussion phase. For a larger group, a sheet could have been
included in participant kits.

They post the action sheet on a new Action-Breaking News wall and join the
circle for closing. Action initiators type in their report after the circle
closing or organizers take pictures of the reports or enter them and
distribute them to participants or post them on a web asap after the
meeting.

I and others have done this with groups of 450 people in a very short lapse
of time and it works. Harrison also describes it in the latest edition of
his OST guide as well as its origin. This "opening space again for action"
is an old idea some of us OS facilitators cooked up during the Toronto
OSonOS in the mid 90's, so excited were we about the power of the OS spirit
of mind.

For an intact organization that has an ongoing life (different from just a
gathering of people from different places meeting once around a point of
common interest), opening space again for action works even better if the
group has taken time to identify collectively their priorities before
opening space for action. This happens after reading reports and takes only
15 minutes to do even with a group of over 400.

With priorities identified, a common vision emerges with a sense of
direction on which the actions, are proposed, at least most of them, instead
of having a feeling that it's anybody's own personal pet projects which may
be going in all directions.

I add my congratulations to the chorus heard so far regarding your first OS.
Your audacity deserves these kudos. Happy to see someone spreading this
wonderful OS thing in the East side of our part of the world. I am looking
forward to hear from you about your next audacious step with Open Space.

Cheers,
Diane