A disability question

Corbaz Catherine c.corbaz at hispeed.ch
Fri Apr 17 02:49:06 PDT 2009

Dear Melissa,
I've never done a World café with disabled people. However i've done
an OST with 30 peoples, among them 1 blind, 1 deaf, many peoples
where either not seeing well or not hearing well. Some of them had
concentration problems and some where in wheel chairs. It was quiet a
challenge, but with patients and assistance it worked !

I talked with some about doing world café in similar conditions. I
wont say it's not possible. If there is respect among the people and
patience, that will help. the main the difficulties I had in the
above mentioned OST, was the noise, which might be even more a
problem with World cafe. It was a problem because some people had
concentration  difficulties. some others needed explanations and we
had to whisper in their ears. So they where really tired at the end
of the day.

You have also to thought of describing the space to blind people. For
them a Wc is better, because they like having a table in front of
them. For deaf people, they cannot look at the signers and read at
the same time... So. Besides you have to thing that reading
competencies might not be very good, if they are born deaf. For
people with learning disabilities, one word patience and respect of
the others. Last, every human being is different, the same for
handicapped people, to blind will not necessarily have the same needs
for assistance and so on.

So, I'm ready to give your further advice if you like, on or outside
the list. Anyway, I'm looking forward to know how it works, because i
think facilitating groups with different types of handicapped is one
on the most challenging thing I ever had to do.

Regards form Switzerland,

Catherine Corbaz
Facilitation & Forum ouvert
Roseaux 20