FW: SV: [OSLIST] Bad OS experiences

Jack Martin Leith jack at jackmartinleith.com
Fri Apr 10 05:21:20 PDT 2009

Hiya Shikha.

Thanks for sharing your experiences of doing Open Space in south east Asia
and Pakistan.

You say: "The part we missed was good planning with two of us."

One way to reduce the likelihood of a repeat of your Pakistan experience is
to pull together a design team consisting of you (and your co-facilitator if
you're working with one), the client-side person and, say, three people who
be taking part in the Open Space event.

The design team decides:

   - The non-negotiables (the musts and must nots - what some call 'the
   givens')
   - The date, timing and location of the OS event
   - The theme or focal question
   - The outputs that are required from the event - reports, photos,
   whatever - and the reporting method to be used
   - Who to invite and how to invite them
   - Number and length of timeslots
   - Places to meet - where and how many
   - What materials will be needed (paper, pens, flipchart stands and pads
   etc.) and how these will be acquired

No matter how well a collaborative gathering is designed, the reality will
almost always be different. You plan for 150 people and only 70 show up. You
thought a 45 minute timeslot would be enough, but on the day people needed
60 minutes. You arranged six places to meet but eight were required. And so
on. But a design team generally produces a better design than one created by
other means. The three participants-to-be know things that you aren't aware
of. If one of the three is a sceptic, so much the better.

I was taught this way of working by Robert "Jake" Jacobs, the co-developer
of Real Time Strategic Change (
http://thechangehandbook.com/content/view/62/38) and it translates
readily to Open Space.

Some people have said to me: "You don't need a design team for an Open Space
event - there's nothing to design."

Your experience in Pakistan proves otherwise!

Thank you again for telling your stories.

Jack

Jack Martin Leith : Fostering innovation next practice
Bristol, United Kingdom
Mobile: 07831 840541 (+44 7831 840541)
Skype: jackmartinleith
email: jack at jackmartinleith.com