teacher continuing education credits?

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:47:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Chris Kloth <chris at got2change.com> wrote:

> Answer follows...
>
> Quoting Michael Herman <michael at michaelherman.com>:
>

>> Comment:
>> I was wondering if anyone that has used open space tech for teachers or
>> schools has ever tried to get the participating teachers continuing
>> education credits as incentive? How did you go about this? Did it work?
>> Thanks!
>>

>>  I have done many meetings with teachers and other educators in open space
> over the years.  On several occasions continuing education credits were
> offered as an incentive and in others they were not.  When there was a
> sufficiently compelling question that was important to those attending
> people came without the credits to do what they saw as important work.
>

> When CEUs were offered is was as a bonus after we clarified the compelling
> question.  I am not sure if we had more people because of the CEUs.
>

> I have to own a degree of ambivalence on this matter because the part of
> who I am that can be judgmental can feel judgmental about people who need
> credits before being willing to engage in important work.  My less
> judgmental side knows that, in the US, teachers are under-payed and already
> working more uncompensated hours than we have a right to demand so if CEUs
> help them get recognition or compensation they more than deserve it.

Chris, in the U.S. underpaid teachers usually have to pay for the CEU's and
CEU's are required if they want to keep their license and keeping their
license is required if they want to keep their underpaid jobs. . . . so when
teachers spend some of their small, underpaid salaries to attend an event,
they might not be able to go to an interesting event held in OS AND go to an
event that will give them the CEU's that they are legally mandated to
obtain.

You shared what you identify as some judgemental thoughts about people who,
as you put it 'need' credits before being willing to engage in important
work. . . . I don't think that is the issue here.  It is a fact of life, a
legal fact, that teachers need CEU credits. It is another fact that teachers
have limited financial resources (just like everyone else!).  If a teacher
has $100 to spend to go to a conference and if one conference awards
legally-needed CEU's and one does not -- and this teacher only has one
hundred dollars. .. . they choose the CEU's because they have to have them.

--
Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.  -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260