BathCamp

Jack Martin Leith jack at jackmartinleith.com
Fri Sep 19 04:08:52 PDT 2008

I spent Saturday at a Bar Camp in Bath, United Kingdom. It was called
BathCamp.

If you haven't yet come across BarCamp, it's a 24 hour unconference for
people in the tech community: not just web developers, but everyone working
in the online world. In some ways it's very much like an Open Space event
(or Open Space Technology meeting or whatever wording you prefer). And in
some ways it's different. I went to BathCamp to experience the difference.

A few links before I continue:

BarCamp - http://barcamp.org
BathCamp - www.blog.bathcamp.org
Unconferences - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

www.jackmartinleith.com/?p=1237 is a brief report of my experience.

As I say in the article, I intend to write more later about what BarCamp
can learn from Open Space, and vice versa.

The main thing I learnt is that BarCamps are not the mechanistic gatherings
I'd been led to believe. BathCamp was one of the most enjoyable gatherings
I've taken part in since OT12 (12th conference on organisation
transformation) at Gaunts House, UK, way back in 1994. The spirit and sense
of community were outstanding.

Has anyone else on the list experienced both Open Space and BarCamp?

I'm curious to know if BathCamp was an exception, or "the rule".

Jack

Jack Martin Leith
Creative activist
Bristol, United Kingdom