When is the Open Space starting to be open?

Marc Steinlin (I-P-K) marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Thu Oct 30 16:46:08 PDT 2008

[[ I'm not sure, I have sent this message 5 days ago, did it go
through? Anyway, I try again, just in case it didn't... ]]

Dear all,

I have a question: I have been opening space with 120 people yesterday
at the ILO Training Centre in Turin as part of a larger conference. I
have observed something (for the second time), that I would like to
have your advice on.

I am explaining people how it works, including the principles and the
law - very briefly, 10-15 minutes. Then I invite people to nominate
topics and step away. And then I feel that they already start living
the law of the two feet - immediately - before the first topic is
announced. They stand up, start talking, walk away, get coffee,
whatsoever...

I am torn between a) accepting and trusting that they know what to do
and b) asking them to stay calm until we open the market place.

I understand, that they already at this stage start discussing what
topics to suggest - they anticipate the market and start exploring and
discussing on issues - not a bad thing (it starts whenever it's the
right time...).

Usually they themselves come back to a self-established order and calm
after some time - maybe 5-10 minutes. But in particular I feel sorry
for those participants who make a start, ie. make the first
announcements of topics, but nobody listens - and everybody misses
those.

What is your thinking and experience? How do you deal with this?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
-marc

IngeniousPeoplesKnowledge
Marc Steinlin
marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Skype: marcsteinlin

PO Box 27494
Rhine Road
Sea Point
8050 Cape Town
Republic of South Africa
Mobile: +27 (76) 222 81 12
Phone from South Africa: +27 (21) 674 63 60
Phone from Europe: +41 (44) 586 53 64

Zweierstrasse 50
CH-8004 Zürich
Switzerland
Mobile: +41 (78) 850 42 32

http://www.i-p-k.ch

P Help save paper - do you really need to print this email ?

‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’
Margaret Mead