Wave Rider: Who is the self organizing?

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Oct 30 07:35:58 PDT 2008

Doug:

I can't reply for Harrison, but I have some thoughts on the importance of
"leaders" in self-organizing processes.  I think it is about articulating
the direction and the "boundaries" within which self-organization happens.

I've recently been reading "Reinventing the Sacred" by Stuart Kauffman -- it
is a tough scientific read so I'll read it again.  He does make a strong
scientific case for "self-organization" from molecules up -- including
biological and human systems (like economies). He provides some "proof" that
systems are not reducible to quantum/physics phenomena.  He states that
cells (for example) self-organize the next level of boundaries within which
self-organizing processes happen and without the boundaries it wouldn't
happen.  Boundaries are clearly semi-permeable with their environment, but
real enough to give some definition to the reality.

"Leaders", maybe, in human systems are those people who articulate both the
frame and the direction well enough to help create the conditions for more
effective self-organization in that direction.  Formal leadership can also
help by committing resources in a certain direction. Certainly the role of
formal leaders in organizations where I have opened the space have been key
to both event success and longer term engagement of others.

The other book I've read is "Hot, Flat and Crowded" by Friedman.  He clearly
believes that to more intentionally address the climate change crisis upon
us, a new regulation frame has to be created by formal leadership --
governments. (He has some understanding that this creates the conditions for
innovation.)  Otherwise, it will continue to be too easy and cheap to use
fossil fuels that we will not make the switch and the next 20 years are
critical to reduce the carbon and the number of climate change calamities
that will befall us (and keep us alive as a species).  Certainly the crises
won't be eliminated.

Now that my surgery is over and healing is on my agenda, I'm hoping to read
and think and contribute more.

Larry

Larry Peterson & Associates in Transformation
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mailto:larry at spiritedorg.com   416.653.4829   http//:www.spiritedorg.com