OST in Amsterdam

Ivana Balazevic-Fisher ivana_bf at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 08:04:55 PDT 2008

HI all

  I work as an "external" and have no people working "under me".

  Have spoken to my immediate manager and tried to plant the seed, but his response was that you cannot do that kind of thing in a hyerarchical organisation as this one, it would never work, people would never talk to each other, we still don't know the extent of our problems therefore we cannot yet make a plan.

  My response to all of those arguments is: perfect.  We need to do Open Space.  His response was: no, no... we can't do that.  We first have to have direction and plan, then we can think of doing something like that.

  My response was... no, no, no... now is the perfect time, precisely because nobody knows how to start, nobody can make a good plan, etc...

  Anyway, I didn't convinvce him yet.  But I want to.  I need to find somebody who has done it in ING Amsterdam (or Holalnd) and who is prepared to talk about it to my boss.  Please scour your networks and put us all in touch with those who have already done it or are doing it in a hyerarchical set-up and are available for a chat in Amsterdam...

  Thank you

  Ivana

Henri Lipmanowicz <henri.lipmanowicz at verizon.net> wrote:
  Ivana,

  Are you inside the organization or are you an outside consultant?
  If you are inside in what position or role are you?

  You write that you are working on a project; is there at least one opportunity for you to use OST on the smallest scale so that management doesn't need to make any decision? You just do it and people start experiencing OST. The point is to focus on what is the immediate first step that is possible with the resources at hand. One experience however little will be more effective than a million presentations. Then see what happens and figure out the second step.

Henri

        On n'entend bien qu'avec le coeur
         L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux