Hunger

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Wed Oct 22 22:53:59 PDT 2008

Thanks Ralph for having the courage to frame it this way.

I am remembering during Katrina when some of our community talked
about helping in some way, and I think there was meditation and some
phone conferences--don't know if any action came of it.  And i was
also on a list of sustainability activists at the same time and they
put out a call, got on a bus and showed up in New Orleans.  The helped
to set up camps to house those who refused to submit to the Red
Cross.  They supported the First Nations communities to find shelter
and food.  They experimented and discovered methods of bio-remediation
for soil.  They made a difference directly in the lives of those
affected and the environment.  did our community help or not?  Who
knows?  I choose to believe that holding space for something makes a
difference at a level that is hard to measure.

That said,  I invite you to consider us all sponsors, participants,
recipients, space holders.  The venue--your doorstep.  The time: Now.
I would like to reword the invitation to read: Supporting Peace,
Abundance and Thriving on the Planet:  Issues and Opportunities.
You are invited to consider the following:  Where do you live?
(hint:  it's round, has rolling blue oceans, hangs out in space,
orbits a big burning ball of hydrogen). Is there conflict where you
live?  On your street, in your family, workplace, club?  Is there
hunger where you live?  On your street, in your family, friends,
workplace, club?  In other words are these 'global' issues present
within your sphere of influence.  If yes, what would you like to do
about it this month ( or tomorrow) that would make even the tiniest
difference?  Every raindrop raises the sea as they say in Dinotopia.
The solutions we seek are in front of us.  Begging us to embrace
them.  Sometimes despair and getting stuck at the global level is a
way of distracting ourselves from the pain that is right in front of
us that we have the power and agency to change.
So, find a wall in your place of dwelling or employment or
entertainment. Post topics that you have passion for and are ready to
take some responsibility for.  Whoever comes are the right people.
(Even if it's only you.) Whenever you start is the right time.
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened.  When
it's over, it's over.  Be prepared to be surprised.

The space is open. Let's get to work.

It's a silly idea--some of the greatest are.

Are you chewing on any of them yet, Ralph? ;)

Cheers,
Wendy