Time for Self-Organization

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue Nov 25 11:13:33 PST 2008

Harrison just spoke to something I've been mulling quite a bit as
systems are becoming more erratic.  Throughout the months of the US
presidential campaign, I must have heard the news media say, "this is
unprecedented" more times than I ever have.  And now it is being said
about the financial mess.

This  is a very important time.

I'm seeing some shifts in the types of requests I'm getting.  The work
with the National Institute of Corrections is an example.  They came
to me because they knew they wanted something "emergent".  They were
incredibly nervous about it all but stuck with it.  During the last
morning, as we prepared for the convergence work I described in an
earlier e-mail (10/10/08 Three action planning approaches in Open
Space - plus one more), the project director said something that
continues to ring in my ears.  People were trying to get clear about
what was being asked of them in identifying where the project should
focus its attention.

The client told the group that his board was asking him questions
like, "what are you doing?" and "what do you expect to achieve?"  It
was clear they had him on the hot seat trying to get answers to
questions they were used to having clarity on before launching a major
project.  And he gave them an answer that made me cheer.  He said, "we
don't know.  We're making it up as we go along.  If we had the
answers, why would we go to all this trouble?"

And just to put this even more in perspective, the head of the agency,
who launched this project to "transform the system of corrections",
was appointed by Bush's Attorney General.  (I wonder if he'll be there
after the transition to Obama?  I hope so.)

As systems are breaking down or not serving their purpose well, people
in unexpected places are looking for original answers.  And because we
are associated with self-organization and emergence, the OS community
could well be where they turn.  As Harrison says, we know a lot about
self-organizing systems.

What does this mean for us as a community of practice?  For us as
individual practitioners?

It is a good time to reflect on how we can best equip ourselves to be
of service during this fertile and likely rocky time of change.

appreciatively,
Peggy

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger