My Microsoft experience

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Nov 22 08:46:09 PST 2008

Doc -- It is truly gratifying to be totally present and absolutely
invisible. Congratulations! And I am always curious about the Microsofts of
this world and their relations to Open Space. Either they have never heard
of it or "it didn't work." Of course they are big places and funny things do
happen - like folks want to try a "little bit of Open space." However, as it
happened, I opened some space in January with MS folks who were redesigning
the way they approach Data Centers. Just about the same size group you had,
and pretty much the same sorts of people (even a few VPs). Two days of
wild/wooley creativity - all written up in the corporate rag. And they never
heard of it!?!

I have seen the same sort of thing happening with another Seattle Corporate
giant. I know for a fact that Open space was used very successfully in
excess of 400 times. However, if you went into the HR dept - guess what?
They never heard of it. I suppose I am getting old and curmudgeonly but it
has occurred to me that if Open Space actually worked, a great deal of what
the HR folks, along with most of the managers, were doing probably didn't
need doing. That could be embarrassing.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html