Wave Riders in Berlin - personal report on one specific workshop

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Sun Nov 23 14:27:02 PST 2008

Dear friends

Just to point out one very interesting thing that happened in our Wave Rider
Open Space in Berlin yesterday (final day): Jo Toepfer proposed a workshop
on "how to make the 8 steps work for me". We had, amongst other things, a
fabulous discussion on opening space for ourselves as persons, treating
ourselves to our own facilitation as we treat the clients' systems to it.
This is what that could be like:

-          Do my personal homework (i.e. be clear about what I want in life,
or today)

-          Invite myself to be present and open to find out whether I want
to come to this "event" today

-          Sit in a circle with all the characters within myself, and they
are all equally important, the inner child who wants to play just like the
demanding critic, the scientist, the one who sits in stillness etc.

-          I listen to the rules, the law, am prepared to be surprised and
aware that I can also be a butterfly or a bumble-bee - follow my own energy
carefully

-          I invite the topics of the day to be posted (what are the things
I have passion and responsibility for today? E.g. "I invite myself to write
the bills today")

-          Hold the market place (which topics am I signing up for now?) and
get to work

-          Keep Grief working (what do I need to acknowledge as being over?
How can I do that best?)

-          Formalize the system (what are the minimum structures needed for
myself so I can work well?)

Yesterday, during the action planning session we held in one group, I found
the sentence "I allow myself to live the life I dream of". And then today on
my way home from Berlin in the train, I came up with a slight variation: "I
invite myself to live the life I dream of", as a topic for one of the next
days' diary work.

So it truly feels as if the larger part of my personal grief work about the
death of my daughters is done and I'm slowly getting ready to start a new
period in my life. This is wonderful. Thank you all, you have all been an
important part in this journey, ever since 1989!

With love, C.

Catherine Pfaehler Senn

lic.oec.HSG

Open Space Begleitung