the harvest newsletter from the first day of the Food and Society USA conference 2008

dave stevenson adavidstevenson at gmail.com
Sun May 4 11:35:02 PDT 2008

Well done mates

just a quick read of the harvest and patterns and learnings abound...

You and Monica and Chris can imagine these very insights translated into our
work here on Vancouver Island

 Engagement, trust, honesty, relationship building is more important than
getting the "right" information
Importance of meeting and working with existing leaders and existing
community organizations that already know the community.
Community meetings aren't necessarily the best way to engage everyone in the
community because of cultural differences, "don't bring them to the meeting,
bring the meeting to them"
Get away from the premise of "we have something to offer," but focusing on
engaging people and identifying what they want and need.
Backing up questions that are asked with an "action." This action, such as
taste-testing, will allow people to express what they want in their
community.
Walking through the community and make relationships with members. Build on
that base to take the next step. Photography and film is a way to have the
community "survey" itself. Youth can also be involved. Lead community forum
to share and build ideas.

>From the Harverst at

Beyond Surveys: New Ways to Assess and Engage Communities

Love it and you all...