Creating Space in Construction - sequel (longish)

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Mon Mar 24 11:36:49 PDT 2008

Dear Brendan,
I got more and more engaged and interested as I read through your
account of the debriefing and read it again. This seems a good start for
more debriefing stories...I think they are fairly rare, at least in my
practice where people dash off after the event...and can, as appears in
your case, be a great starting point for more open space around more
issues that the sponsor is urgently concerned about.
The stories around calling in external consultants reminded me of Marvin
Weisbords "Learning Curve": we are at the transition in some places from
"experts improving systems" to "everybody improving systems" (or, as ho
puts it, from "the man leading" to "everybody leading")...but then, its
more than just a transition it is a paradigm shift that is hard to
"develop" into, there has to be a radical destruction of the old
paradigm to really work in open space all the time. Your client seems to
already well understand that everytime they call in consultants
(probably at a much higher fee than most of us os facilitators are
accustomed to)they reinforce the old paradigm that they so urgently
would like to leave behind.
I intrigued myself with the "Book of Proceedings" part (here in Germany
I call it "Die Dokumentation"). For some time now, I have been inviting
participants after "Reading the Book of Proceedings" to place the book
under their chair, saying something like "Event though it contains all
the stuff you cared to record during the divergent phase you went
through it now is already a thing of the past. It informs in some way
what you now embark on...looking ahead and thinking of what you actually
will plan and do is the focus now" In that sense, it is really congruent
to have it "finished" and not "open".
Keep telling the story!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp