Convergence for Group Consensus

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Mar 10 09:29:14 PDT 2008

from another michael here, martin...

this question you asked of michaelmp, raises an important distinction.
people often ask me similar, little more general question:  "how does open
space lead to action.  nice to have all the conversations, but what about
getting to action?"

to this question, i always point out that we 'invite' action.  but that we
do the inviting in the opening.  when 200 or 300 people sort their world
into 50 or 70 breakout sessions in the opening, same for small groups and
smaller numbers of issues, of course -- that IS action.  just because it's
usually hashed out in weeks or months from office chairs, doesn't mean it's
any different in conference room chairs when it only takes an hour!

then, recognizing that action continues throughout the meeting, your
question about how to get there seems really about how not to break the flow
that already is.  the surest way, to break the flow that is, is to send it
to the chief for review.  or worse yet, to have the typing and distributing
of notes be long delayed or never happen.

the best way to keep things going, on the other hand, is to keep ongoing the
things we've already done:  inviting, conversing, and documenting in a way
that includes everbody.

some time ago we coined the term 'non-converging' for the practice of
're-opening' the space at the end.  goes like this:  open the space, have
the conversations, publish the notes, give them out as the next invitation
(usually near the end of the event), 're-open' the space with the question
of 'what's next?' often focusing on convening conversations about 'next
steps' or 'actions' or 'projects' that need to be established for continuing
the work into the 'real world' of the everyday working, in the desk chairs
again.

mherman

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates